February 15, 2013

Donate Don't Dump


Well, school is slowly coming to an end (is it May yet?!) and I have recently started my internship. I am interning with Donate Don't Dump - have you heard of it? It is an amazing Non-Profit Organization to help alleviate hunger and to save our environment! I heard of this organization last year during their food distributions and I was immediately interested in what they stood for. 


There are so many people that are going hungry in the US, and there is so much wasted food being dumped into our landfills. Did you know that 1 in 4 kids within the US is suffering from food insecurities? And recovering only 20% of wasted food would feed 25 million people daily? This is so disheartening and discouraging. 

Cal State San Marcos (my college) is the largest Chapter of Donate Don't Dump. I was amazed when I was told that students could receive approximately 20 pounds of fresh food, twice a month, for free. I just participated in my first Donate Don't Dump food distribution. Everyone who stopped by was so grateful and appreciative. Some students explained that they have not had food in their fridge for the last few days. It really put everything into perspective for me. I have been in such a good mood since then, I cannot stop talking about it! It felt so great to help and I cannot wait until the next distribution!

Please 'Like' Donate Don't Dump on Facebook and if you are as interested in this as I am, you can help make a difference!

No comments:

Post a Comment

i'd love to hear what you think! xo